Tuesday, January 2, 2018

1930s Inspired Velvet Dress

1930s velvet evening dresses are always stunning in their deceiving simplicity. I was struck by the how lovely the silhouette was and liked the idea of a solid velevt gown. I definitely love the wide gathered sleeves.
        
Two of my favorite examples. Thanks Pinterest! Velvet,check. Full sleeve,check. Waist panel, check.

I have worked with stretch velvet before and when I saw the new Simplicity Vintage 8504 I jumped at the chance to recreate a similar look in four way stretch velvet. I wanted a similar silhouette but with a modern twist. Something stylish yet comfortable to wear to the theater.

Notice the fabulous fabric belt and darling collar. They did a good job styling this one

I started with a basic knit bodice pattern. In this case, the Boundless from Pattern for Pirates. I widened the neckline and raised it. I then dropped the back into a low v.  I still followed the instructions to fully line rather than use a facing, something I prefer as it gives the bodice more structure.

Simple, clean neckline thanks to the fully lined bodice. Also, check out those gorgeous Dames a la Mode earrings I had received while making the dress!


 I also added a fun element to the front bodice, cutting out a curved piece on the front then simply serging it back on. I regret not making my top bodice a looser fit so I could create a gathering at the bottom. Next time!

                
           
Low back and curve detail on front bodice piece



For the sleeves,  I measured from shoulder to elbow to get the first piece. I placed the sleeve piece away from the fold to create a wide sleeve base.
Yes, an artichoke and bird acted as paperweights

I then ran a gathering stitch at both top and bottom of the wide sleeve. I wanted the fullness on the top of the shoulder only. 

The final portion of sleeve construction was to measure elbow to wrist and create essentially a tube of fabric. I measured around the widest part of my forearm and made it a bit more snug. This way the fullness of the top portion of the sleeve would be more noticeable. I attached the gathered top sleeve portion to both the shoulder and the tube.

                   
                              I love the way the sleeve looks from the side. I did a flat lay so you can see construction a bit better

For the skirt, I did a half circle skirt. The nap of the stretch velvet is great in that it hid the seams. The nap of the stretch velvet isnt great in that if you arent paying attention, you cut the skirt with the nap in two different directions and do not realize until reviewing pictures! Thankfully it isn't extremely noticeable, but I learned a valuable lesson.
                                                 
All in all, it was a fairly easy project and I had a new dress to wear to the ballet. I accessorized with a deep side part in my hair and a fun brooch that I turned into a hairclip thanks to the hot glue gun. The stretch velvet is very comfortable and I am happy with how the sleeves drape. I am already planning a pink version. Have you ever turned a vintage pattern into something more modern with stretch fabric? Let me know in the comments!






2 comments:

  1. That dress is GORGEOUS!!!! I'm a sucker for anything in velvet but that goes above and beyond. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete